Yields 6 servings of chowder and 6 waffles
Potato & Corn Chowder: 230 calories
Cornbread waffles: 332 calories
Ingredients (for the Potato & Corn Chowder)
- 3 cans of sliced potatoes, drained (or you can slice the potatoes yourself)
- 2 cans creamed corned
- 1 lb. 93% or 99% fat free ground turkey (you can use ground beef or chicken, or even use sausage if you want)
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Basil
- 1 tbsp. whole wheat flour (optional, use if chowder needs thickening at the end)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions (for the Potato & Corn Chowder)
- Brown ground turkey (or other meat) in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil.
- In a large pot, pour in creamed corn and potatoes. Let simmer over heat until barely boiling.
- Once turkey is cooked, add to the large pot.
- Add in additional spices and stir well.
- If it needs thickening, add a tbsp. of flour.
- Serve over cornbread waffles
Ingredients (for Cornbread Waffles)
- 2 packages of cornbread mix (I used Jiffy)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 c. skim milk
Directions (for Cornbread Waffles)
- Follow directions on the box.
- Once you've mixed everything together, use a waffle iron and make the cornbread waffle just like you would a regular waffle. I used a ladle full per waffle.
- Let cook on the waffle iron for about 2 minutes per waffle. This may vary depending on how hot your waffle iron is.
- Serve with Potato & Corn Chowder.
This recipe was so easy. It took about 20-30 minutes to make everything and it was really filling. We had a friend over for dinner, and it was great to serve to a guest. Oh, and it's husband approved, which is hard to come by with soups and chowders!