Last night I decided to get a little bit creative. I found a recipe on Pinterest that looked pretty good, but I wanted to add a little more umph to it. If I was going to eat this as a meal, it needed to be pretty filling. Here's what I came up with -
Southwest Zesty SaladYield: 5-6 Servings as a side, about 4 as a meal
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c. red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 dash of sea salt
- 1 Hass Avocado, diced
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 c. cooked salad shrimp
- Sea salt
- OPTIONAL: Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning
- OPTIONAL: Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning
- OPTIONAL: Club crackers
- In a small bowl, combine EVOO, red onion, lime juice, and sea salt. Mix and set aside in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- Cook your shrimp. I poured a bag of frozen shrimp into the skillet over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Every few minutes I'd go and flip them, but they cook pretty easily while you put together the rest of the salad.
- In a large bowl, combine avocado, black beans, corn, and tomato. Stir well.
- Pour in onion mixture to the large bowl. Stir well.
- Add salt, pepper, and additional seasonings.
- Once your shrimp are cooked, drain the water, add a little salt, pepper, and maybe some Fiesta Lime seasoning. Pour shrimp into the large bowl. Mix well.
- Let your salad chill in the refrigorator for a few minutes (about 5 minutes?), or until the shrimp are cool.
- Serve on Club crackers, in a tortilla, with chips, or eat it with a fork by itself!